The purpose of Family Crisis Council of Rowan, Inc. is to help empower victims of rape, sexual assault, incest and domestic violence to take back their lives.
Family Crisis Council of Rowan, Inc. (formerly The Rape, Child and Family Abuse Crisis Council of Salisbury-Rowan, Inc.) was conceived in 1976 by the Rowan County Council on the Status of Women. It began as a committee of concerned citizens to study the need for services to victims of family violence and sexual assault.
The Family Crisis Council was incorporated as a non-profit organization in April 1978, at which time a grant was received from the North Carolina Council on the Status of Women. The grant was provided to develop a service center for victims of family violence.
In April of 1979, the council became a member agency of Rowan County United Way. In March of 1988, an additional grant was received from the North Carolina Council on the Status of Women to allow the Family Crisis Council to expand its services and include a shelter for victims of domestic violence. The shelter opened in February of 1990. From that time until December 2016, the Family Crisis Council has housed 2,478 women and 767 children in our shelter.
The Family Crisis Council is funded through foundations, government and private grants, the United Way, community donations, and sustaining memberships.
Board of Directors
- President – Mike Edwards, Retired Manager
- Vice President – Stephen Ross, Walser Technologies
- Secretary – Henry “Bud” Hall, Retired Probation Officer
- Co-Treasurer – Walter Wall, Retired Banker
- Co-Treasurer – Maria Lowder, North Hills Christian School
- Angela Beverly-Kibler, Delhaize/Food Lion
- John Grubb – Real Estate Broker
- Teresa M. Haupt – Rowan County Sheriff’s Office
- Lauren Wicker Hoben, Law Office of Lauren W. Hoben
- Erin Stringer, Catawba College
- Rebecca Sexton – Salisbury Police Department
- Rowan County United Way
- NC Department of Health & Human Services, Division of Social Services
- NC Council for Women
- NC Governor’s Crime Commission
- City of Salisbury
- NC Division of Aging & Adult Service
- J. F. Hurley Foundation
- Hurley-Trammell Foundation
- Margaret C. Woodson Foundation
- First United Church of Christ Foundation
- Salisbury Community Foundation
- First Presbyterian Foundation
We also receive funding from individuals like YOU!
If you’d like to help the Family Crisis Council empower victims in our community, please consider donating to us.
- You can donate through PayPal by clicking the “Get Involved” tab.
- You can write us a check made out to FCC. Please send your check to PO Box 50, Spencer, NC 28159
- You can also designate funds to our account: Family Crisis Council of Rowan, Inc (fund #2926). You can contact the Foundation For The Carolinas at 800.973.7244